Have you ever heard the term, “He or She got religion.” Or maybe You are Religious? The
question I want to address in this sermon today is, what does the word religion mean and just what is pure religion? If we
look in Webster’s dictionary we will find this definition. In institutionalized system grounded on the belief in or
reverence for a power or supernatural powers, regarded as creator, governor, and sustainer of the universe. The Bible defines
religion as, ceremonial observances used in worshiping the God or creator, governor, and sustainer of all things.
If we pray, listen, and look to God we will find what God calls pure religion. Which by the way is
what is so need in this land today. So according to God’s word pure religion is,
I. A Personal Religion (John 3 verse 3 and verse 7.)
1. A personal acceptance (Romans 10:9-10)
A. You of your own free will must except Jesus Christ as
your Lord and
1. No one can do it for you
2. A personal faith. (Eph.2:8-9)
A. You must personally place your faith and belief in Jesus
3. Personal Repentance (Luke 13:3 &5)
A. A personal turning from sin to righteousness.
B. A personal turning form the old life to the new.
4. Personal Possession (Romans 8:9)
A. You must be possessed by the Holy Spirit
B. If you have not the spirit, then you do not belong to God.
II. A Purifying Religion (I John 1:9)
1. Not cleansing by water!
A. In Matt. Chapter 3,when Jesus was baptized, He told us,
“do this to fulfill
making baptism a works. And works cannot save us.
B. Water can only wash away the filth on the outside when we need
2. Not cleansing by works. (Eph. 2:8-9)
A. Works does not produce salvation nor does works produce
B. But salvation does produce works and purity.
3. Not cleansing by wealth.
A. No amount of money can buy your way into heaven and make
4. What can wash away my sins and make me pure?
A. Nothing but the blood of Jesus. (I
III. A Positive Religion (I John 5:13)
1. Not a think so religion
2. Not a hope so religion
3. No a maybe so religion
4. But a Know So religion
5. A know religion as Paul said in (II Timothy 1:12)
IV. A Powerful Religion (Acts 1:8)
1. A religion that is powerful enough to
A. Lead to true salvation in Jesus Christ
2. A religion that is powerful enough to sanctify
A. Notice the parable Jesus told in (Luke 18:10-14)
3. A religion strong enough to sustain us, keep us saved (John 10:28)
4. A religion strong enough to bring us to glory
5. A religion strong enough to
A. Shake us up
B. Take us to church
C. Wake us up