WHY GO TO CHURCH (part 2)
Last week we took our text from the Old Testament (Deut.
31:12-13) We preached that even though those scriptures were given by God to the nation Israel, the principals therein
do apply to Christians today.
This Sunday we will take our text from the New Testament.
Once again we will see that the eternal word of God and the principals therein apply, to all Christians of all ages, all nations,
and for all of time.
I. BECAUSE PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR GOD'S
WORD PREACHED (Mrk.16:15-16)
1. God has appointed pastors to
A. To oversee
the chruch (I Peter 5:2)
pastors should and do go to great
lengths to prepare messages from
to edify the Lord's people.
1. Much time must be spent in earnest study,
prayer, and meditation
in the preparation of
2. What if every church member fed their
feed their souls? I am afraid many would starve
3. The attitude of every church
member ought to be
those in (Acts 10:33)
4. It is sad, but true, that in many churches
is little reverence for the Holy Bible.
ministers handle it carelessly and
spend much time joking and entertaining their
hearers from the pulpit.
B. A true servant
of God preaches the whole counsel
5. There will be little or no growth in
the Christian life
if a person
fails to receive a steady diet of Scriptural
6. If you have little or no desire for
proclaimed it may be that you are a
with an outward form of godliness, void
of any inward
power. (John 8:47)
7. Not only is Christian growth a result
of hearing the
Word, but your
faith also. (Romans
8. I have no doubt that the moral degeneracy
breakdown in our
land is directly linked to the
failure of people
to attend church regularly to hear
II. BECAUSE CHRISTIANS NEED EDIFICATION
AND INSTRUCTION (Heb.
1. Peter called the church the pillar
and ground of the
(I Tim. 3:15)
A. It supports and upholds the faith once delivered
to the saints.
B. It is
the Divinely appointed place of instruction
and edification for the saints.
2. Haphazard attendance
means no growth
A. This is the reason
many are led astray.
3. Our attitude should be like the Psalmist (Psa.27:4)
III. BECAUSE WE NEED TO BE AN EXAMPLE
1. Each time that we prepare our hearts
and faithfully attend the house of the Lord
are providing a proper example to our children,
and the lost world at large.
2. Each time we engage in public worship
declaring to everyone
our allegiance and loyalty to
the cause of Christ.
3. Every time we willfully neglect the
house of the
actions show that we have little respect for
God and His ways.
4.What kind of example are we setting for our lost
5. Even lost people scoff at a man's religion
doesn't have enough
power to take him to church!
6. What do visitors think when they come
they are nearly empty? Do they see a
that is not seriously committed to God?
7. What kind of example are we setting
when ball games, boating, fishing, and
pleasures take a precedence over the Lord's
8. Our Failure to attend church regularly
will have a
influence on others
IV. BECAUSE WE NEED TO FELLOWSHIP WITH
CHRIST (Ephesians 3:21)
1. Jesus is in attendance every time the
A. He walks in
the midst of His churches. He has
deposited His glory in His church
1. If Christ's glory and presence is found in His
churches then should we not make every effort
to be faithful to assemble in His name and
enjoy His blessed fellowship?
2. Notice very carefully the word "Glory" in this
A. The word means, "
to honor, to worship, to
3. And where? And for how long?
A Nashville newspaper carried a tongue-in-cheek story about
Mrs. Lila Craig who hasn't missed attending church in 1,040 Sundays although she is in her eighties. The editor commented,
"It makes one wonder, what's the matter with Mrs. Craig? Doesn't it ever rain or snow in her town on Sunday? Doesn't she ever
have unexpected company? How is it that she never goes anywhere on Saturday night so that she's too tired to attend the worship
service the next morning? Doesn't she ever 'beg off' to attend picnics or family reunions, or have headaches, colds, nervous
spells, or tired feelings? Doesn't she ever oversleep or need time to read her Sunday newspaper? Hasn't she ever become angry
at the minister or had her feelings hurt by someone and felt justified in staying home to hear a good sermon on the radio
or TV? WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH MRS. CRAIG ANYWAY?