NOTHING BUT THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I Peter 1:18-25
We live in a sad hour. An hour in which many, both within and without the church see no need for old-fashioned,
Bible-centered, blood-bought salvation. They say things like, "Man doesnt need the Blood in order to be saved." We live in
a time when many main line denominations have moved to proclaiming a social Gospel instead of a Gospel proclaiming salvation
through the Blood of Christ. Some have even gone so far as to remove songs dealing with the Blood from their modernistic,
Others may flee from the truth of a Bloody salvation, but I will cling to the Blood. Religion may decry
it and call it out of date, repulsive and barbaric, but Ill just stick with the Blood of Jesus. Robert Lowery got it right
when he penned that old song, "Nothing But The Blood." This morning, I am going to preach for a little while on this thought,
Nothing But The Blood.
Nothing But The Blood Can:
I. PRODUCE A SAVIOR (v.20)
1. According to this verse, Jesus was "foreordained", before the world was
ever created to become the Sacrifice for sin. (Rev. 13:8)
2. He accomplished many things during His walk on earth:
A. God became flesh (John 1:1, 14; Phil. 2:5-8)
B. Jesus Fulfilled Many Old Testament Prophecies:
1. Virgin Born (Isa. 7:14)
2. Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2)
3. Seed Of David (Jer. 23:5)
4. Man of Sorrows (Matt. 8:20; Isa. 53:3)
5. A Man of Compassion (Isa. 42:3)
C. Jesus Lived A Sinless Life (1 Pet. 2:22; 2 Cor. 5:21)
D. Jesus Taught A Better Way To Live (Matt. 5:27-48)
E. Jesus Perfectly Modeled God Before Men (John 14:9)
F. However, Jesus never became the actual Savior of men until
Calvary, when He was nailed to the cross and shed His
1. In His death, He became our Savior! (John 15:13)
II. CAN PURCHASE THE SINNER (v. 18-19)
1. Verse 18 declares us to have been "Redeemed." This word means to
liberate by the payment of a ransom."
2. Sinners need redemption. Why?
A. They are slaves to sin (Rom. 3:23; Rom. 3:10; Eph. 2:1-3; Jn. 8:44).
B. They are lost and separated from God (Isa. 59:2)
C. They are Hell bound and hopeless apart from Jesus (Psa. 9:17).
3. Christs Blood offers the redemption sinners need.
A. The Blood frees us from sins power (Rom. 6:14)
B. The Blood brings us into fellowship with the Father (Rev. 5:9)
C. The Blood gives peace and assurance (Rom. 5:1)
D. It changes our eternal destiny (Rom. 5:9 Rev. 7:9-14)
III. CAN PURIFY FROM SIN (v.22)
1. Verse 22 declares that obedience to the truth of Gods Word purifies the
soul from sin.
2. This has always been Gods plan:
3. When God gave worship guidelines to the Jews, He demanded Blood
4. Religion cant do it, good works cant do it, wishful thinking cant do it,
heartfelt promises cant so it, but one trip to an old-fashioned altar can!!
IV. CAN PRESERVE THE SAINT (v. 23)
1. What the Blood does in us is a forever work! (Incorruptible seed.)
2. It guarantees us eternal security. (John 3:16; Eph. 4:30)
3. The Blood gives security! (John 10:28).
4. That Blood has never, and will never lose its saving power
5. Its power is still available today to all who will come,
A beggar stopped a lawyer on the street in a large southern city and asked him for a quarter. Taking a long, hard look
into the man's unshaven face, the attorney asked, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" "You should," came the reply. "I'm your
former classmate. Remember, second floor, old Main Hall?" "Why Sam, of course I know you!" Without further question the lawyer
wrote a check for $100. "Here, take this and get a new start. I don't care what's happened in the past, it's the future that
counts." And with that he hurried on.
Tears welled up in the man's eyes as he walked to a bank nearby. Stopping at the door, he saw through the glass well-dressed
tellers and the spotlessly clean interior. Then he looked at his filthy rags. "They won't take this from me. They'll swear
that I forged it," he muttered as he turned away.
The next day the two men met again. "Why Sam, what did you do with my check? Gamble it away? Drink it up?" "No," said the
beggar as he pulled it out of his dirty shirt pocket and told why he hadn't cashed it. "Listen, friend," said the lawyer.
"What makes that check good is not your clothes or appearance, but my signature. Go on, cash it!"
The Bible says, "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." That promise is a "negotiable note" of
infinite value. And as sinners, all we need to do is "exchange" it by faith for eternal life. Don't let the "tattered clothes"
of your past keep you from cashing God's "check" of salvation