AMERICAN HAS FORGOTTEN
Happy birhday America: We have just celebrated the 232nd brithday of our nation, The United States of
America. During these holidays we have heard "God Bless America sung over and over again. But will God bless America?
Will He? I am sad to say No, I am afraid not. Why not? Because America has forgotten. Forgotten what? I am glad you
asked. Let me by the grace of God mention what America has forgotten.
We here at Eagle Rock will be celebrating the Lord's supper today. I would like to use this time to
encourageus to remember some things that America as a whole has forgotten.
I. FORGOTTEN THE BETRAYAL OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (verses 17-25)
1. Consider the author of the betrayal - Judas Iscariot (Matt. 26:20-25)
A. He was a disciple
B. He was an apostle
C. He was an officer - the treasurer
D. He was a worker - cast out devils
E. He was a phony . And he was a devil! (John 6:70)
F. Would we have
here tonight a betrayer of the Lord?
2. Consider the action of the betrayal (Matthew 26:48-49)
A. Some people talk about
getting people saved, but they won't go soul-winning.
B. Some talk about the blessings of God, but
ROB God in tithes and offerings!
C. Some people talk about serving God, but they make
it to church regularly or S/S
D. Some people talk about revival, but have not even considered the cost.
E. Some people talk about believing the Bible, but they don't read it daily.
II. THE BODY OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (verse 26)
1. His body was broken (1 Cor. 11:24)
A. His BONES
were not broken, but His BODY was.
2. His body was beaten
A. They scourged Him.
B. They hit him in the face.
3. His body was bruised
A. They put the cross upon His
B. They put thorns on His head.
4. His Body Bore our sins (John 1:29) (1 Peter 2:24)
III. THE BLOOD OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST(verses 27-28)
1. It is pure blood (Acts 20:28)
2. It is precious blood (1 Peter 1:18-19)
3. It is powerful blood (Romans 5:9) (Colossians 1:14)
A. What can wash away my sin?
Nothing! Not baptism, not confession,
not prayer, not good works, not church membership -- Nothing,
BUT THE BLOOD
IV. THE BLESSED HOPE OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (verses 29-32)
The Lord's Supper is indeed an ordinance of REMEMBRANCE, but we are not only to remember what took place at Calvary.
When we partake of the Lord's supper,
1. We should remember the price that was paid for our salvation
A. Christ died for sinners to be saved.
2. We should remember that He left us here on earth to give that good news to
3. We should remember the purpose of the observance
A. We must examine ourselves to see why we are partaking (1 Corinthians
4. We should remember the promise for the future
A. JESUS IS COMING BACK SOON!
B. The Lord's supper is a TEMPORARY observance, "til he come"!!!
1. One of these days we will trade in the LORD'S supper for the
2. The cross will be exchanged for a crown!
3. Faith will be replaced by SIGHT! (1 John 3:2)